Another crazy food ‘holiday’, another delicious blog post. Let’s make the most of National Grilled Cheese Day with delicious wine pairings.
Wine With Grilled Cheese
In 2015, Dragonette Cellars winemaker Brand Sparks-Gilles, who has also worked as a baker, sat down with the LA Times to write this article, Wines that work with grilled cheese. Today, we’re breaking down the article and the recipes so you can have the happiest National Grilled Cheese Day ever. It’s on Tuesday, April 12th, by the way.
Four Wines Paired With Four Grilled Cheese
1. Blue & Goat Cheese Crostini with Rosé
Blue & Goat Cheese Crostini
- Thick slices of sourdough crostini, grilled
- Point Reyes Blue mixed with fresh goat cheese
- Quartered dried white figs soaked in Sauvignon Blanc for a few hours
- Toasted pine nuts
- 2014 Dragonette Cellars Rosé (sold out)
- and/or 2013 Happy Canyon Sauvignon Blanc
2. Red Pepper, Pesto & Mozzarella with Whatever You Like
Red Pepper, Pesto and Mozzarella Grilled Cheese:
- Pain au levain
- Roasted sweet red peppers
- A smear of pesto
- Thick slices of fresh mozzarella
- Drizzle outside with olive oil and brown on the grill
- Toss up! Pair this grilled cheese with any of the wines listed in this post
3. Classic Grilled Cheese, 2 Ways, with Sauvignon Blanc
Classic Grilled Cheese, 2 Ways:
- Classic grilled cheese with sharp English cheddar on levain
- Classic grilled cheese with aged Tillamook (a less intense grilled cheese)
Both with mustard from Garagiste in Seattle
4. Rye & Gruyère with Syrah & Pinot Noir
Rye with cave-aged Gruyére:
- Rye bread
- Cave-aged gruyere
- McClure’s garlic pickles
Rest assured that Brandon used the highest quality bread (some, sent to him from CO., some purchased at his favorite local bakery) and the best cheese he could find. Try taking your grilled cheeses up a notch by sourcing the highest quality, freshest, ingredients possible.
These wines pair with more than grilled cheese. For a full list of recommendations from the LA Times team, check out their follow up post HERE.
Want more delicious wine pairings delivered to your inbox weekly? Subscribe in the upper right-hand corner. Cheers!